Mar 12, 2014

Shailene Woodley Slams Twilight: “What Message Are We Sending to Young People?”

Shailene Woodley takes a shot at Twilight, opens up about hookups, and says what she learned from George Clooney in her Teen Vogue cover interview.

The actress starred on “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” but her big-screen break came with Clooney in The Descendants.

“We take our jobs very seriously, but we also take fun very seriously, which is something George Clooney taught me,” Woodley tells the magazine. “The second the camera rolls, George is present, giving an amazing performance. But the second it cuts, he’s playing basketball with the transportation guys or making sandwiches and handing them out.”

When that movie was over, she had choices to make.

“After The Descendants, everybody was like, ‘You’ve got to ride the wave!’ And I was like, ‘You ride the wave and it eventually crashes on the shore. That doesn’t work out! I’m going to just sit here and paddleboard,’” she recalls.

Woodley explains, “I didn’t do a movie for two years because I didn’t read anything that was inspiring to me.”

She’s battled in the past with an often rigid Hollywood model for success.

“I was once told by a studio that I needed to make my look more cosmopolitan, that I needed to create a persona,” Woodley tells Teen Vogue. “I looked at them and said, ‘You just told me I wasn’t good enough to be myself. And that is not OK.’”

While she has frequently cited Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games franchise as she prepares for her own blockbuster turn in Divergent, Woodley is not so fond of another recent hugely successful young-adult adaptation.

Twilight, I’m sorry, is about a very unhealthy, toxic relationship,” says the actress. “She falls in love with this guy and the second he leaves her, her life is over and she’s going to kill herself! What message are we sending to young people? That is not going to help this world evolve.”
What about her own love life?

When it’s pointed out to Woodley that her recent run of films have all concerned romance, she replies, “That’s crazy! I never thought about that.”

“I haven’t had time to think about a relationship! I literally have not had a boyfriend in almost five years. I’ve never even hooked up with anybody I’ve worked on a movie with,” says the star.
Even after production wrapped?

“Well, that might have happened on something,” she says.

What do you think of Woodley’s latest comments?

0 comments: