Sep 16, 2013

Robert Pattinson in Sunday Style: My Fame and Success Was “Literally All Luck”

Robert Pattinson covers the September 15 issue of Australia’s Sunday Style, discussing fame, the state of his career, and his anxiety over red carpet appearances.
“I just didn’t expect any of this and I didn’t ask for it,” the actor says of his worldwide success. “It was literally all luck. I just stumbled from job to job.”

Being a global sensation, of course, does come with drawbacks — lack of privacy, endless speculation about your personal life  — and Pattison admits, “It’s difficult to remain sane. It’s really difficult.”
“In the beginning I didn’t even notice my life had changed so massively, because I was always working. I suppose eventually I got used to it,” he says.
Pattinson, whose Sunday Style feature is tied to his partnership with Christian Dior, adds that he’s “in a vaguely transitional phase in my life.”
“I’m trying to get out of being perceived as really young and I think doing [Dior] helps along those lines. I’m 27 now and I can feel people looking at me differently,” explains the movie star. “It’s a weird year. With Twilight ending and other films I’ve done, like Cosmopolis, I suddenly feel like I’m being treated like an actual actor.”
He goes on to confess to “panicking” before he has to walk red carpets, another requirement of the job.
“I get a ton of anxiety, right up until the second I get out of the car to the event, when suddenly it completely dissipates. But up until that moment I’m a nut case,” he tells the magazine.
Pattinson continues, “Body dysmorphia, overall tremendous anxiety. I suppose it’s because of these tremendous insecurities that I never found a way to become egotistical. I don’t have a sixpack and I hate going to the gym. I’ve been like that my whole life. I never want to take my shirt off. I’d prefer to get drunk.”
But the Maps to the Stars lead also says “there’s not very much that really bothers me.”
“I don’t ever feel the need to forgive or expect people to be,” says Pattinson. “I judge people on their actions. I don’t really care if it’s wrong or right, I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they do something I can’t be bothered to deal with, I just cut them out.”
Pattinson also gives a little insight to his approach to romantic relationships.
“I’m quite sensitive, and I do like a bit of grand gesturing, but that’s just my ego. I like to give people presents and I think of myself as the best gift giver, but only because I get stuff for myself and then make it work for the other person,” he says.
And just why is the actor, who repeatedly said in that past he wouldn’t promote fragrances, now the face of Dior Homme?
“I just got so smelly that I had to start wearing it,” he jokes.

0 comments: