Dec 7, 2013

Ben Affleck Opens Up About New Batman, Says Daredevil Failure Motivates Him

Ben Affleck opens up about his controversial casting as Batman in a new interview with Playboy.
“When they asked if I would be Batman, I told them I didn’t see myself in the role and I was going to have to beg off,” explains the star. “They said I’d fit well into how they were going to approach the character and asked me to look at what the writer-director, Zack Snyder, was doing.”
Affleck says, “The stuff was incredible.”
“It was a unique take on Batman that was still consistent with the mythology. It made me excited,” he says. “All of a sudden I had a reading of the character. When people see it, it will make more sense than it does now or even than it did to me initially.”
Affleck goes on to tell the magazine, “I don’t want to give away too much, but the idea for the new Batman is to redefine him in a way that doesn’t compete with the [Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan] Batman but still exists within the Batman canon.”
“It will be an older and wiser version, particularly as he relates to Henry Cavill’s Superman character,” says the actor.
What about the intense backlash to his casting?
Affleck says, “I understand I’m at a disadvantage with the internet. If I thought the result would be another Daredevil, I’d be out there picketing myself… Why would I make the movie if I didn’t think it was going to be good and that I could be good in it?”
As for his previous turn as a superhero, the star has some remorse.
“The only movie I actually regret is Daredevil. It just kills me. I love that story, that character, and the fact that it got f*cked up the way it did stays with me. Maybe that’s part of the motivation to do Batman,” he explains.
Not that it was a total loss.
“That’s where I found my wife,” says Affleck of Jennifer Garner. “We met on Pearl Harbor, which people hate, but we fell in love on Daredevil. By the way, she won most of the fights in the movie, which was a pretty good predictor of what would happen down the road — my wife, holding swords and beating the living sh*t out of me.”

0 comments: