Oct 12, 2014

Kristen Stewart: Actresses Who Think “You Have To Be A B*tch” Give Rest Of Us “A Bad Name”

Kristen Stewart knows not everyone likes her movies, and not everyone will in the future.
The key, she says, is making herself happy.
Asked by The Daily Beastabout some moviegoers writing her off, Stewart replies, “Honestly, I don’t care. It’s fine. I’m really happy doing what I’m doing.”
“I’m sure there are a ton of people out there who would hate my movies even if they saw all [the indie ones],” says the star, “just as I’m sure there are people out there who are obsessed with Twilight and say, ‘I watched the series, and she completely let me down, and then I watched every one of her other movies, and I f*ckin’ hate her!’”
Stewart continues, “And that’s cool! Just don’t watch my movies.”
The actress embraces a similar line of thinking when selecting her new roles, rejecting the notion that she’s been “very picky” since Twilight because she’s “under the microscope.”
“I’m never really that precious about choosing projects that don’t have every sure element that is a guaranteed good experience and/or success. There’s a lot of risk involved in this job, and it doesn’t bother me,” says Stewart.
Referring to her new film Camp X-Ray, she acknowledges, “This could’ve been a terrible movie! It could’ve been awful. It’s with a first-time director.”
“But I still would’ve gotten what I got out of it had the movie not turned out as well as it did,” she says.
With Camp X-Ray tackling serious post-9/11 issues, The Daily Beast asks Stewart what other news topics she’s “passionate” about, but Stewart is hesitant to share publicly.
“I don’t want to talk about that shIt at all. Trust me, I’m only asking for it,” she replies, explaining, “When it comes time to stand up and affect change, I’m not the type of person to shout from the rooftops.”
She adds, “Just because you’re an actor and in the public eye, people think that’s how you must be. But there are other ways to do that. That’s not me.”
Stewart further elaborates on her viewpoint when the topic of feminism is brought up, and she admits, “There are a lot of women who feel persecuted and go on about it, and I sometimes am like, ‘Honestly, just relax, because now you’re going in the other direction.’”
“Sometimes, the loudest voice in the room isn’t necessarily the one you should listen to,” she goes on. “By our nature alone, think about what you’re saying and say it — but don’t scream in people’s faces, because then you’re discrediting us.”
The Still Alice star points out, “Relating it to my one little avenue, people say, ‘If you want to make it in the film industry as a woman, you have to be a b*tch.’”
“No, you are going to ruin any chance you have and give us a bad name,” responds Stewart.
She stresses, however, “It’s a really ridiculous thing to say you’re not a feminist.”

0 comments: