Oct 12, 2014

Zach Galifianakis: “Being A Celeb Is Sh*t”

Zach Galifiankis is not a celebrity.
He’s an actor.
Or at least that’s what he wants to be.
“Being a celebrity is sh*t,” said Galifianakis on Saturday.
He was speaking at the New York Film Festival, during a press conference for his new film Birdman, which stars Michael Keaton as a washed-up movie star trying to stage a comeback.
Galifianakis, Keaton and their co-ostars were asked at the discussion about their take on celebrity culture, to which he replied, “It’s dumb.”
“I’m not interested in it. I like to be an actor and that’s it,” said Galifianakis.
The Hangover star went on, “The blurred lines are, I think, man-made. I think celebrity is a man-made thing. It’s not innate in us.”
“We have people telling us we should pay attention to these people for the wrong reasons — their personal lives and that stuff,” he explained.
Galifiankis’ viewpoint extends to other aspects that come with fame, such as having to do “picture taking.”
“I’m just being honest,” he said. “I would rather do my work and go home and watch Lifetime or something.”
Keaton shared a similar perspective about the “blurred lines” of celebritydom, arguing at the event, “I think everybody is kind of a celebrity now. Anybody can be anything.”
“While [people are] enamored by it, I guess, and buy magazines, I don’t think [celebrity] is a big deal anymore,” the actor said.
Keaton continued, “I think everybody is kind of their own celebrity in their own head, and they kind of are. We’re living in this really weird world where people are everywhere.”
“They’re omnipresent,” he added.

0 comments: