Feb 23, 2015

Damon Wayans Cancels Shows Because Diabetes Complications: He Can’t Fly

Damon Wayans has canceled a number of shows due to medical problems related to his Type 2 diabetes. The comedian is unable to fly in his current state, reports TMZ. Wayans had been scheduled to perform in Kansas City, Buffalo and other cities, but has postponed those appearances because of his health crisis. He will reportedly try to do shows that are within drivable distance from Los Angeles, but has temporarily put an end to all out-of-state comedy gigs.
Wayans was diagnosed with diabetes in 2013. In a 2014 Charlotte Observer interview, he said of his diagnosis, “It tripped me out. My sugar was at 538.” He began doing a paleo diet: “No fruit, alcohol, soda, cake.” Wayans was soon able to go off insulin.
In fact, it was partially his health problems that led Wayans to return to standup. “I had to go on stage and talk about it,” he explained. “It keeps me from being negative and self-absorbed. I tried to walk away from standup, but it’s been my therapy – my way of expressing anger, disappointments and fears and celebrating my hopes. It helps to regulate my thought process.” The exact nature of Wayans’ heightened diabetes issues this month have not been disclosed.

0 comments: