Jun 12, 2012

Carrie Underwood: I Support Gay Marriage


Carrie Underwood has come out in support of same-sex marriage.
The devoutly Christian country star explains her position in a new interview with The Independent.
“As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry,” says Underwood. “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”
Underwood married hockey player Mike Fisher in 2010.
The singer, who was raised in a Baptist church, says she and Fisher attend a non-denominational congregation she describes as “gay friendly.”
Underwood explains, “Above all, God wanted us to love others. It’s not about setting rules, or [saying] ‘Everyone has to be like me.’ No. We’re all different. That’s what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It’s not up to me to judge anybody.”
The onetime “American Idol” champ says she disagrees with “people who use the Bible for hate.”
“That’s not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented,” says Underwood.

0 comments: