Mar 16, 2015

Kathy Griffin: Fashion Police Is Anti-Feminist “Dog Pile” (VIDEO)

Kathy Griffin opened up about quitting “Fashion Police” on “The View” on Monday, her first television appearance since she resigned a few days ago. Griffin essentially said she quit the E! series because it was anti-feminist, and addressed criticism that it was hypocritical of her to object to the show’s material when she makes controversial comments of her own. Watch below.
Explaining her decision to quit, Griffin said, “As a feminist and a comic, it just didn’t feel like the right fit to me.” She noted, “I was being forced to comment about pictures of beautiful women in perfect dresses and say kind of bad things,” and likened the experience to a “dog pile.”
“Certainly in my repertoire I’ve said heinous things, I’m well aware of that,” Griffin acknowledged. But the comedienne argued that the key difference is context, and explained that in her standup shows, she does extended bits playing on celebrities’ personalities. “I wouldn’t hold up a picture of Kim Kardashian and say, ‘She’s ugly! Goodnight!’ I wouldn’t hold up a picture of Oprah and say, ‘She’s fat! Goodnight!” said Griffin.
Griffin also revealed she was under the belief that “Fashion Police” would be making format changes when she agreed to join the show. “I was told that they would happily sign on to my style and all that other stuff,” Griffin said, admitting she “really didn’t know until I took the seat” that they wouldn’t follow through.
So, how did Griffin envision the show? “I was hoping that we could talk about the events themselves and the shows,” said the star, stressing, “I didn’t want to say that Meryl Streep didn’t look great, because she looked great. Sometimes it just felt disingenuous to me.” Griffin further said, “My style is improvisational and off the cuff. They have a formula that worked so well with Joan and so well for so long and it just didn’t fit my thing… They had a very strict lane they wanted to be in.”
Griffin insisted she had no idea Giuliana Rancic was going to make the now-infamous comments about Zendaya, or that it would lead Kelly Osbourne to quit. In fact, despite her issues with the show, Griffin claimed they all parted amicably. “I was trying to be a team player,” she said, adding, “They were very nice to me. They weren’t mean or evil.”
The funny lady also revealed Lena Dunham helped her craft her farewell statement, and explained why she emailed famous friends asking for support in the wake of her exit. “I’m still going to give people crap, trust me,” vowed Griffin. She later added, “There’s a lot of stuff I said before that I wouldn’t say now, and there’s stuff I probably won’t say in five years that I do say now. Comedy has to evolve.” See the full video of Griffin’s comments below, and tell us what you think.



0 comments: