May 14, 2013

Angelina Jolie: I Had Double Mastectomy


Angelina Jolie has revealed she underwent a double mastectomy.
In an op-ed for the New York Times published on Tuesday, the actress says she had both her breasts surgically removed after “my doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer.”
Jolie, whose beloved mother Marcheline Bertrand died of breast cancer at age 56, writes, “Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy.”
She notes, “On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.”
“But I am writing about it now because I hope that other women can benefit from my experience,” adds the star.
Jolie says the surgery was a tough decision and very painful, but now, “My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent. I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.”
She says she had her breasts reconstructed with implants after the surgery.
Jolie goes on to praise Brad Pitt for his support throughout her mastectomies, revealing, “I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive. So to anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition.”
“Brad was at the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where I was treated, for every minute of the surgeries. We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer. And it has,” reveals Jolie.
What do you think about Jolie sharing her medical procedures in hopes to help other women?

0 comments: