Mar 5, 2014

Angelina Jolie on Vivienne’s Maleficent Role: I DON’T Want My Kids to Be Actors

Angelina Jolie opens up about working with daughter Vivienne on the upcoming movie Maleficent in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly.

As Extreme Entertainment previously reported, the now-5-year-old appears as a young Aurora in a scene with Jolie’s villainess, but the toddler didn’t score the role out of any nepotism.

“We think it’s fun for our kids to have cameos and join us on set, but not to be actors. That’s not our goal for Brad [Pitt] and I at all,” Jolie explains. “But the other 3- and 4-year-old [performers] wouldn’t come near me. It had to be a child that liked me and wasn’t afraid of my horns and my eyes and my claws. So it had to be Viv.”

In fact, Jolie reveals that her children were initially all against mom doing the movie, which retells the Disney classic Sleeping Beauty from Maleficent’s perspective.

“They went, ‘She’s so scary!’” recalls the Oscar winner. “I said, ‘Let me tell you the real story but you can’t tell anybody.’ So this was my test too, like any parent.”

Jolie goes on, “The next day, I heard Shiloh getting into a fight with another kid, defending Maleficent, saying, ‘You don’t understand her!’ They got into a bit of an argument and I thought, that’s the reason to do the film.”

Still, seeing mommy with stark makeup and horns took some getting used to.

“When Pax saw me for the first time, he ran away and got upset – and I thought he was kidding, so I was pretending to chase him until I actually found him crying,” Jolie confesses. “I had to take off pieces [of the makeup] in front of him to show him it was all fake and not freak out so much.”

Pax and sister Zahara ended up appearing in the movie, too, as extras in the christening scene where Maleficent appears to cast her curse on a baby Aurora.

“I had to walk by them being very mean. Of course, I wanted to stop and wink at them,” adds the star.

Jolie’s full interview hits newsstands on Friday, and Maleficent opens in theaters on May 30.

0 comments: